So one of my coworkers sits down at coffee yesterday and asks: " Do you believe that we are born into sin and need to be reborn?". You know how we're supposed to have an answer for everything? I didn't. I know you guys already think I'm a heretic, so I'm going to process out loud again. I think the reason the question caught me off guard because of the first part, because I do believe we need to be reborn. And, of course, we need to be reborn from something dead, right? I guess so, but it sounds so decisive and I think God is more gracious than basing one's destiny on being 49% on the way to being reborn, but if you're not there 52% you're out. I guess what I mean is that our definition of reborn tends to mean a decision followed by prayer and baptism, and a change in life, whereas I'm wondering if God's definition is a little more undefinable, or unquantafiable. As for being born into sin, the problem I have there is those who have no or little chance to be reborn: the miscarried, those who die young or those who have never had a good opportunity to meet God. I know creation gives them no excuse, but that seems a little harsh, you know? The other issue is perhaps that we are created in the image of God, which doesn't include sin, but are we born in the image of God. and do we need to commit a personal sin to be a sinner, or can we be condemned because of societal sin and eventual sin?
In case you're wondering, I sat like a mute while a nurse beside me recited the doctrine of original sin, rebirth, justification and union with Christ. I'm hoping to raise the conversation again today, so please join me in asking God to help me give her truth.
Thanks,
N
The wayward ramblings of Us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment