So, here I am. This is a great idea Marnie- thanks for setting it up. My thought of the week has revolved around hell. I don't think any of us actually believe in Eternal Conscious Torment when it comes right down to it, but some would think we're supposed to. What's the point of evangelism if we're not trying to save souls from Hell, and really, why should we bother being good if we're not afraid of, in the end, actually going to Hell?? What actually defines salvation, what are we saved from if it isn't just ECT? These are not really original thoughts; I got the third McLaren book for Christmas and this is the topic. What he says is that grace is bigger than Hell and that God is incongruent if he is bound by a justice higher than Himself which forces people to Hell when they haven't said the right prayer or attended the right evangelical church. He is also incongruent if grace is actually limited by our weakness. Instead, perhaps it is "Salvation by grace; Justification by works"..... and so on. This is definitely a social and environmental gospel that actually works toward justice and wholeness worldwide where grace is always the last word.
So I lied, there is another thought: I recieved a little newsletter from my Bible School last week and according to what the president wrote, Dan and I are in deep trouble. We have been bound by cultural expectations and financial restrictions, not following what God is obviously calling us to, by not having children yet. Do you know that Canada today is not following God's command to go forth and multiply- the only reason our nation's population is not declining is due to immigration. Plus, most Christians are born and raised in Christian homes- if Christians are not having children (the way God desires of us) then who are our next generations of Christians going to be???? At least most of you are trying, but even two isn't enough. The poster families have 8 and 11 children.
N
The wayward ramblings of Us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment