The wayward ramblings of Us.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Blessings

I really enjoyed reading Bono's speech at the prayer breakfast and know that I will have to read it again. One thing that really stuck out to me was the idea of God's blessing. Bono shared that he often would ask God to bless what he was doing until an old friend flipped that idea on him. He suggested that instead of asking God to bless what we are doing we need to find out where God is working because that is already blessed. God has been speaking to my heart about this and again in my quiet time this morning this thought reappeared. When the people decided to build the tower of Babel they did this so that their name would be great, and in the end they received no blessing. Then one chapter later in Genesis you read the story of Abraham who took a journey of faith and obedience and was blessed beyond measure. It made me think about the path that I want to choose. "Efforts focused on building ourselves will profit little, but energy focused on deepening our relationship with God will produce lasting results." How have I been wasting my time pursing things in my life that are only of personal interest to me and then asking God to bless this? And how have I been meeting God where He is working and blessing things already? This is a constant thought process that I go through as I seek to be most effective in this life that has been given to me.

No comments: