When I arrived at school today (23rd - election day) the climate was very ... conservative. There were some loud and one-sided discussions going on. I have avoided any direct discussion about these things so far (though I've just been informed that at least one other teacher has seen the sign on my lawn) but I thought I'd better make time to process some of my own thoughts on why I'm voting NDP, just in case. Here is the first part - possibly of interest.
Why I am voting NDP. Even though I'm a christian.
First - Because Gay Marriage is not the issue.
1 - Legislating “correct Christian morals” regarding homosexuality does not trump issues like national and international poverty, globalization, environmental degradation (if I hear one more Canadian say that he’s “…all for global warming. Ha! Ha!”…), corporate and government irresponsibility, etc.
2 - It is pompous for anyone to think they know just exactly what “correct Christian morals” apply in this scenario. Did Christ change any of the immoral laws he lived under in Rome? Did he try to?
3 - Enough! We’ve stoned enough of the gays! They get the picture, we hate them, so enough already! (For posterity's sake, please note my facetious tone here).
PS I know what you’re thinking … “Love the sinner, hate the sin”, right? Well-intentioned though it may be, doesn’t it reflect something naïve about our attitude toward a whole bunch of people? Doesn’t it get in the way of a genuine relationship between me and the sinner I’m trying to love? Wouldn’t it be better to “love the sinner, in spite of the sin?” By turning homosexual sin into a law, we practice hating the sin without the corresponding opportunity to love the sinner.I am also suspicious that gay marriage, at its root, is really just an “us versus them” issue. We’re scared that “they” will take over, so we’d better band together and keep them down while we still have the upper hand.
---
There's more, but I don't think anyone at my school will want to hear it. So back to my real job.
The wayward ramblings of Us.
Monday, January 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well said Josh. Truly. You have summed up my own thoughts succinctly.
Post a Comment