The wayward ramblings of Us.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

First foray into the online community

There's very little for me to say. I really enjoyed reading through everyone's posts, though I admit I lost the address of the blog and checked it today for the first time since being signed up. Oops. Anywho, you know what? I voted Conservative. Outrageous, I know. Especially coming from me, the most vocal of foes. However, I'd been contemplating the whole thing prior to the 23rd, and spent some time researching the various platforms (mainly on the CBC site). Taking an unbiased (as much as I was able) look at the platforms, I wasn't able to choose between NDP, Conservative or Green. All had pros and cons, none of which made or broke it for me. In the end, my vote was primarily a protest against the Liberal party and their scandals.

One other thing I discovered in my research into the platforms was that a lot of my hesitations regarding voting conservative (gay rights, etc.) did not appear at all in the platform, but were instead just rooted in the "fear and smear" campaining of the other parties. When it came down to it, I decided to not take into account the fears of hidden agendas, but simply go with what was explicit. I'm okay with the explicit policies of the conservatives, as stated:

Clean up government with a federal accountability act.
Reduce taxes, starting with a GST cut.
Crack down on crime.
Establish guaranteed wait times.
Provide child care money directly to parents.

The one I have the most difficulty with is the GST cut, mainly because I'm not at all sure how they are going to manage to keep a balanced budget after reducing taxes. The rest seem benign. I dunno. Just a bunch of thoughts. There's my little fodder for debate (Gnomer and I had a fair bit when she found out what I'd done).

No comments: