Well, since Mr. Schellenberg is willing to come out of the closet, I will too. If you're wondering who I voted for: I voted Green. Why? These were the issues that were closest to my heart this time around:
International and National Justice
International Debt Relief
The State of the Environment
National Health Care
I wavered between the NDP and Green Party for a while, and so I did as much research as I could. I read both platforms, and used websites such as "Make Poverty History" and some info that MCC put out to also compare the party platforms on certain issues. I meant to read all the major parties' platforms, but ran out of time (in the end I knew I wouldn't consider the Liberals, and the Conservatives just aren't cool enough for a twenty-something like me.)
The NDP had much of what I was looking for (as usual), but what attracted me to the Green Party was the fact that they are not just concerned about Health Care - they are concerned about the wholistic health of Canadians and Canada. They recognize that our health and well-being issues go much deeper than wait times, money, and more doctors and nurses. Health is a lifestyle that is connected to the environment, healthy choices, food, mental stability and other factors. Their ideas address all of these issues in a wholistic approach.
I enjoyed hearing about the "fair bit" of debate that Gnomer had with you when you "told her what you'd done". I can picture it now. L and I also had a debate about the struggle with "wasting your vote" when it came to the Green Party. But, I believe that the reason we are given a choice to vote is so that we can have a voice in the issues that are important to us and that we believe are important to and healthy for our great country. Any other reason for voting, in my mind, is throwing away that choice. (As roscoe said, what is good for our country never comes down to one single issue, especially a moral issue.) Why vote just to "punish" another party? It seems petty to me. The fact also remains that every vote counts for $1.75 for that party in funding, so each vote does count. Also, I believe that as you vote for what you believe is important, the gov't will take notice because your voice is being heard. I guess I have to believe in that if I vote Green, and hope that our country's leaders aren't solely focused on themselves.
It's funny - as I was watching the election results come in, the Green party managed to hold a riding for about 5 minutes before they eventually lost it to another party. What a party they would have had if they had won a seat! But it made me think that if, by some freakish cosmic allignment, that the Green Party all of sudden had won the largest amount of seats in Parliament, they wouldn't have known what to do. They are a party that is still in its infancy I think. I believe as they grow over time and are given more responsibility bit by bit (don't be surprised to see them win a seat in the next election), they will mature as a party until they are eventually in a place if, or when, the time comes they will be ready to govern.
So, there's my two cents. More twigs and branches for the fire.
J
The wayward ramblings of Us.
Friday, January 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment