The wayward ramblings of Us.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Years Retreat


Here I am. Is January 4th, I'm at my desk and wishing that I was still snug in bed. I'm just back from holidays and contrary to the idea that vacations are a time of relaxation, I'm just exhausted from mine. At New Years we gather our close friends and head out to the country for a 'retreat'. We stay up way to late, get up early and fill the days with activities. We leave our kids with grandparents and so we want to make the most of the time we have. It was a rejuvenation of my spirit but my body is suffering for it now. At 31, I'm very rarely up past 10:00pm so staying up three night in excess of midnight is taking its toll today.
Day one: Arrive and unpack. We hit the weekend with a running start. We all dive in to the books we got, but for my husband, Kevin, who hit the TV. There is satellite and we only have 'farmer vision' at home. We eventual do get hungry and start supper. We are staying at my In-Laws (the greatest there is) and they have just left for a 3 month mission trip to Mexico ( I think its interesting that they were 'called' to Mexico during the dead of winter but...). As a result they have emptied the fridge and freezer. In the past we have been in the fortunate place to pillage both and have quite enjoyed that. This year we are faced with a new problem, feeding ourselves. So we do find some deer sausage and bison steaks and are able to make a feast. After supper we dug out the drink. Through out the year you may find us indulging ocasionaly and in a dignified manner (there may be a few exceptions to this rule, but isn't that what rules are made for...). On our Retreat we let our selves go. Rather than buying gifts for each other at christmas we spend our money on booze and make new drinks for each other. We then play games and follow that up with a sing-a-long. Yeah, I know sounds bizarre but you just have to be there to get it. Finaly we stumble to our beds and sleep.
Day Two: A relatively mild day in comparison. We have breakfast and then we decide to head out to see a near by wind turbine farm. Relay fascinating. We are able to get up close and its so amazing. I find them just beautiful. We move on and take a hike through a valley. A Farley good hike which I think we all appreciated as it worked off lots of the night befores caloric intake. We head home for lunch and naps. That night we do it all again, the drinks and games and laughing.
Day three: Again we are slightly more lethargic that the day before. We take it easy in the morning, doing some cleaning and packing as we will leave in the afternoon. We read our books, watch a bit of TV and eventual head out for another hike. This time our destination is an abandoned farm about 15 minute drive from the house. Its just a beautifully romantic place that has a air of tradgidy about it. Not sure how else to put it. We spend a few hours wandering the farm, looking in old building, climbing trees and taking pictures. The weather has been mild so we are able to enjoy a good portion of the day there. We finaly pile back into the van and head home. We stop back at the farm to gather our belongings and head back to Regina. A quite trip indeed. We are all bushed and our seemingly unsachable excitement and energy for the weekend has been quenched.
I'm always blessed by this time with my friends (they are more like family than anything) and find it such a wonderful way to start the year. I am thankful for each of them and the unique way they brighten my life.
Work.....right, that is where I am now. Just got some sad news, my colleague is leaving my company for 'greener pastures'. Actually I'm jealouse of her. She was offered a terrific position that she would be a fool to pass up. I do wish her all the best and will miss her lots.

M.

No comments: