So, tonight for Sr. Youth we had a discussion night. We have these every few months, and I really enjoy them. They are some of my favourite times with the whole group. It is a chance for the kids to share anything about life, faith, prayer requests, their faith journies, ask questions, etc. Tonight was no exception - some very meaningful things shared and some great discussion.
But I came away very troubled also. Some very deep and intense questions were asked (which often happens). My approach is to let the kids talk things out, and if asked or if needed to put my own two cents in. But I found myself talking more than I wanted to tonight. And I'm struggling if I did the right thing or not.
Tonight's questions surrounded some of the usual topics, but they had a more personal ring, and much more intensity to them. Questions like: "What do I do if I'm just having my devotions to have them, and they've recently become very dry and it's a chore to do it?" "I have a Muslim friend who is very sincere in his faith and is a great person, and I'm struggling with what will happen to both of us when we die?"
None of these are knew to our discussion time, but it was somehow different. Some of the youth shared much more freely of their own beliefs. And there is a wide range - from those that hold very tightly and traditionally to Jesus' statement: "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." And those that believe that Jesus showed that God is love, and any life based on love has a part in his kingdom. And I try to balance things, play devils advocate, and all the rest. And I ended up sharing more of my own personal beliefs in these matters than I ever have. This is what I am really struggling with.
Should I have? Were they all ready for it? Will some of them understand it in a wrong light? Will it mislead them? Just because I am at a certain point in my thinking should I try to lead everyone there? I don't believe that I should, but I feel like I was pushed into doing that. I had to say something. And I don't even know if I'm right.
What really scares me is this verse from James 3:1 - "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, know that as such we shall incur a stricter judgment." What if I don't know anything and I'm leading them all astray? I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but it really does concern me sometimes. I try so hard to always go back to the Bible and speak from it, but what if I'm miss-interpreting it, or just making it say what I want it to? I come to these questions with so many biases, how do I sort through them all and just teach the truth? I sure hope God takes my best intentions, and that these kids miraculously filter out all my crap.
Sometimes the huge responsibility that I have becomes too much. How do you lead someone in a "faith journey"?
The wayward ramblings of Us.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment