The wayward ramblings of Us.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

So the student leading devotions today asked the class whether it was a sin to NOT want to die because of the things and people you'll leave behind.

That is, given then choice between dying a martyr's death, or remaining alive and in relationships, is choosing "alive" a sin?

Not surprisingly, we talked a bit about martyrs. One student mentioned the story about the CHristian husband who allowed a soldier to bury his wife and young child alive rather than renounce his faith. THis story is often used in sermons to glorify the martyrs death.

I had to admit to my class that I couldn't imagine anything that would motivate me to make the decision this soldier made. Maybe physical torture.

The story of Abrahams near-sacrifice of his son also came up.

Just got called to the conference room. THe short of the story is that the students were a little astounded that I would take a side not usually taken by preachers by saying the right thing to do MIGHT be to stay alive and in relationship with family.

Gotta go.

Josh

No comments: