The wayward ramblings of Us.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Dilemma

So I came across this article by the leading scientist behind the Human Genome Project. It is an article about why he can believe in Jesus Christ and Evolution. I thought it was a good one.

You can read the article here. It's a short one: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/collins.commentary/index.html


My favourite quote from the article is:

Yes, evolution by descent from a common ancestor is clearly true. If there was any lingering doubt about the evidence from the fossil record, the study of DNA provides the strongest possible proof of our relatedness to all other living things.

But why couldn't this be God's plan for creation? True, this is incompatible with an ultra-literal interpretation of Genesis, but long before Darwin, there were many thoughtful interpreters like St. Augustine, who found it impossible to be exactly sure what the meaning of that amazing creation story was supposed to be. So attaching oneself to such literal interpretations in the face of compelling scientific evidence pointing to the ancient age of Earth and the relatedness of living things by evolution seems neither wise nor necessary for the believer.
Here is my dilemma though. I would really like to use this article in a youth Bible study and present it as an alternative view, but I don't think I could "get away with it". I would probably run into the same opposition I ran into in the Fall over other issues, and would receive comments from upset parents. I really wish I had the freedom to express what I believe in some areas to the youth. It would serve to really broaden their understanding of the Bible, and help them to ground themselves in a more realistic interpretation of Scripture that is open to new discoveries - one that is not based in fear.

No comments: