Whenever I see stories like that, that bring out the suffering that our society is causing so many people, it makes it hard to remain in this society. It makes me want to leave and run away from it. Part me of thinks that this would be a very good idea, and not subject Ava to any of this baggage and shit that we carry, although of course we would be introducing her to whatever baggage any other part of the world has. Part of me also thinks that if those of us who realize what is going on all leave, who will be left to fight for change here?
There are some excellent lines in the movie too. In fact brilliant lines that blew me away. They are lines of Redemption and light. They are the Gospel:
At one point, Jennifer Connelley's character says, "A whole country is dying/being destroyed. What good is it if I help one person?...What the hell am I saying?!"
Later on, another character says to Leonardo DiCaprio, "A man may be evil, but with one act of love he can change someone's life. No one knows what path may lead us to find God."
Towards the end, Djimon Hounsou's character has one of the most beautiful lines that I have heard in a movie for a long time. He is speaking to his very young son who was taken by rebel forces and forced into being a child soldier, brain washed into doing horrendous things, "They made you do bad things. You are not a bad boy. I am your father. I love you very much. I will take you home and make you my son again."
What a picture of redemption, grace and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment