The wayward ramblings of Us.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Viva La Vida

Coldplay recenlty released their newest album, Viva La Vida, and it is excellent. It rivals A Rush Of Blood To the Head. Musically, it is much different from their previous albums, which is a fantastic change. Lyrically, this is a much better and more in depth album. The lyrics seem to reach into me in ways that Coldplay albums have never been able to do.

Here are some of the highlights (songs & lyrics) from Viva La Vida:

Cemeteries of London
God is in the houses
And God is in my head
And all the Cemeteries of London
I see God come in my garden
But I don't know what he said
For my heart it wasn't open
Not open


Viva La Vida
I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sweep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
Roman calvary choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world


I wonder if this is Chris Martin (lead singer) admitting that trying to live his life without God in control was not working?

Here are some beautiful lines from the song Death And All His Friends...
No I don't want to battle from beginning to end
I don't want to cycle or recycle revenge
I don't want to follow death and all of his friends...


And here's my favourite line from the entire album, from the song Violet Hill, which is a commentary on the current wars in Iraq & Afghanistan...
When the future's architectured
By a carnival of idiots on show
You'd better lie low


The overall theme of the album is that hatred and war are not working, and we need to find a different way - one of Love, Peace, and Life. And that humans do not seem to be able to do this on their own.

If you haven't listened to it, or bought it, it's definitely worth it.

No comments: