This morning the EA from my grade 10 class came into the staff room and nearly worked herself into tears because she'd gone to a movie with one of our more socially-conscious teachers over the weekend.
I haven't heard of Blood Diamonds, but I guess the film does a nice job of bringing the dark side of the diamond industry to light. I was fortunate enough to let all know that I've never even thought of buying sarah a diamond. (Actually, I have thought about it.)
Anyway, this EA, she's a reasonable person, not a right-wing maniac, or a self-blinded bubble dweller, but she said, in her own words, "I had no idea."
How come she had no idea? How does someone get to be 25 or 30 or whatever she is and never have had a whiff or an inkling? You can't blame someone for what they don't know or even for being unable to respond to what they do know. But really what I want to understand is how this deadly issue stays so remote. I don't really know anything about the diamond problem. I could guess what the negative impact of the industry has been, but I don't really know. I just know that I should think before buying a diamond. We should all be suspicious of diamonds.
And coffee, and fresh fruit, and flowers, and chocolate, and polar-bear-skin scarves, and christians.
I need to work harder on my History 20 class. I don't anyones ignorance to be my fault.
The wayward ramblings of Us.
Monday, February 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
People don't know because they don't want to know. If they don't know, then they don't have to think about it or act on it. I think that you can blame someone for their ignorance
Post a Comment